Buck's Blog

The Stream-of-Consciousness Journal of a Wargamer

Preparing for my “Tales of the Gold Monkey” GASLIGHT Game

| February 27, 2019

I am going to run a GASLIGHT game at Cold Wars that is very loosely based on the Tales of the Gold Monkey television show.  Each player will have a group of explorers and will set out to find treasure.  They will have cards that they can play on each other to slow down the other […]

Hydra Miniatures Retro Raygun Valkeeri

| February 25, 2019

Some years ago, I purchase the dismounted Hydra Miniatures Valkeeri, and I use them as “Venusians” or other suitable aliens for my pulp games. A few months ago I ordered several of them on rocket sleds.  Today I finished painting them.  I didn’t get the skin color to match exactly, but they are close enough. […]

Work in Progress Terrain Project

| February 25, 2019

Over a year ago, I purchased some of Terra Former products from Sally 4th.  See https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/TerraFormers.  I really like these, but I have been hesitant to get started.  Last weekend, I worked on a couple of them, and this weekend I finished laying in the foam and cork bark on the 15 that I purchased.  From […]

Progress on Albedo Combat Patrol Activation Decks

| February 22, 2019

I recently received the artwork for the Activation cards from the artist. To that artwork I added the card serial number, copyright information, and morale results. I think they look pretty good. See what you think of these samples.  

Another Approach to LSNC: Sci Fi

| February 19, 2019

I have been making a number of abortive attempts at LSNC: Sci-Fi.  I am trying to take into account the difference between directed and kinetic energy weapons, represent different types of motivations (wheels, tracks, hover, legs), RF-guided weapons, thermal sensors, unmanned systems, and cyber/EW.  The first attempt used the shooting and defense numbers very much […]

Commandos Strike at Dawn

| February 17, 2019

This Saturday, Greg and I ran our commando raid game with Combat Patrol(TM).  From the play test a couple of weeks ago we added a few more commandos, but the commandos actually did worse! The commandos started well, keeping to the woods to avoid being spotted.  But then things went badly, and the commandos made […]

Friday Feudal Fracas

| February 17, 2019

Friday night at our club meeting, Chris ran a game using Feudal Patrol.  Feudal Patrol is the under-development version of Combat Patrol(TM) that is more for mediaeval games (or games in which there is more melee than shooting).  This is still very much under development, but it is at a stage where it is playable. […]

Savage Worlds Flash Gordon Kickstarter

| February 14, 2019

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a sucker for Flash Gordon.  I love the old serials (three of them), the old comics, and I can even tolerate that campy 1970s movie.  So, when the Savage Worlds Flash Gordon Kickstarter occurred, I jumped on the bandwagon to get the figures.   I have just […]

The Last of the Mantic Terrain Crate Pieces

| February 12, 2019

I have been posting pictures from time to time of the various terrain pieces that I got in the Mantic terrain crate Kickstarter.  Tonight I finished the last of the two crates and various add-ons that I purchased. I finished two sets of the abandoned mine.  I will use these in an upcoming game I’ll […]

Two Martian Tripods

| February 10, 2019

In the continuing effort to reduce the unpainted lead collection, I knocked out these two tripods this weekend.  I went with battleship gray for the paint scheme thinking that they might be Earth imitations of Martian tripods (I have the ones from here to be real Martians).  They looked too clean, so I gave them a […]