On and off for a week, I’ve been picking away at some unpainted lead sitting on my painting table. Between the recent move and the high tuition rates I’m paying for my kids’ schooling, the lead budget is tight. I usually keep my unpainted lead under about 300 figures. I also usually try to paint figures I bought at one convention before buying more figures at the next convention. In the past year, however, I let that grow to 500 or so figures — even counting strips of Old Glory 10mm Napoleonics as a single figure. Anyway, below are pictures of a couple of recent transfers from “unpainted” to “painted.”
Eureka Miniatures released some pterodactyls with German pilots. To go along with their Jurrasic Reich figures, they released this set at Historicon. I finally got around to assembling and painting it. I keep suggesting to Nic Robson (the owner) that they need to add Americans riding eagles, British riding owls, and Russians riding giant vultures.
In their War Rocket line, Hyrda has begun releasing a fifth fleet: pirates. I like the rules, but I REALLY like the ships. According to their Web page, they have released the Type II pirate ships, but all I found at Fall In (from Recreational Conflict) were the Type I ships (pictures above).
After the HAWKs met to paint a bunch of 15mm Seven Years War figures we play another test of Look, Sarge, No Charts: Napoleonic Wars. Since the last play test I had modified the cavalry and artillery roll-to-stand dice. I was also paying attention to the movement speeds of artillery. I was also paying particular attention to the skirmish fight. All seemed to go well.
The French had one or two extra regiments of infantry; the Austrians had an extra regiment of cavalry; and the two sides were even in artillery. The scenario involved both sides trying to capture two small villages. The game had a lot of good back and forth action; charges, counter charges, routing, and rallying. In the end both towns were partially occupied by both sides, and we decided that neither side had the capability to break the deadlock.
I think the basic core of the rules is working fine. The next couple of tests need to work the “fringes.” I need to run a game with some French guard. I also need to test landwehr and militia. Finally, I need to see how the Brits work with extra skirmishers, since I plan to represent rifle companies as extra skirmishers for the skirmish fight.
Speaking of the the skirmish fight, I think that aspect of the rules is working quite well.
I just finished ten Valkeeri from Hydra Miniatures (http://hydraminiatures.com/). These are part of their Retro Raygun line. I painted them to use as Venusians in a pulp sci fi game.
These were nice, clean castings. The Retro Raygun figures are really 32mm, so they look a little tall next to my Pulp Figures castings. I guess the Venusians are more healthy than Earthlings. They certainly LOOK healthy — even with light blue skin.
I bought the blue blog from Recreational Conflict at Fall In 2011. They sold it in this translucent blue and also opaque yellow resin. I liked the translucent one the best.