This weekend I finally got around to painting some of the Crooked Dice figures I ordered a couple of months ago. These are UNIT troopers for Dr. Who games.
I don’t know if I got the uniforms correct — I didn’t do my historical research. I went with a simple khaki and green camouflage pattern. I think that looks better than plain black or something sinister like that. I figure Greg will paint his correctly, so when I put mine on the table, it will be easy to separate them at the end of the game.
I wasn’t sure about the headgear. I went with a blue that is meant to be reminiscent of the blue berets worn by UN peace keepers.
A couple of months ago, Greg and I put together a big order from Crooked Dice. While I have had the figures filed, primed, and based for many weeks, this weekend was my first change to paint any of them. I plan to work these figures into my zombie game in a shopping mall next weekend at Historicon.
I have been using Roman Circus for light chariot racing games. The rules are the right balance of beer and pretzels as well as what seems to be a good representation of chariot racing. I have been using reproductions of Marx Ben Hur play set chariots in 54mm (see a previous post on this subject). I wanted to replicate that game in 10mm for easy transport on airplane flights, etc. While there are a number of manufacturers of accurate racing chariots in 10mm and 15mm, I was wanted that Ben Hur look. When I found the right looking chariots, they had the wrong drivers and vice versa. I sent an Email to Richard at Magister Millitum. He combined chariots from one catalog item with drivers from another. I finished painting them this weekend, and made two tracks for them: and typical oval one and one in a figure eight.
These were inexpensive enough that I even ordered six chariots without horses or drivers to make wreck markers in the game. All of this will fit into a single Really Useful Box, so I will likely bring the game with me to Historicon next weekend for pickup games.