Buck's Blog

The Stream-of-Consciousness Journal of a Wargamer

Recent Painting Projects

 

 

It’s been a while, but I finally had time to do some light painting.  I took the opportunity to knock a couple of things off my painting queue.  The first was a batch of knights I got in a convention flea market.  I have been toying with the idea of a jousting game for some time.  I’ve played in several jousting games that have been fun, but they often get boring quickly as the number of decisions is quite small.  So, I have some ideas that I’ve been thinking about while pushing a bunch of flab around the streets for an hour in a vain attempt at weight control.  I’ve had some ideas for an opposed die roll dice progression mechanic that will be just right for jousting, I think.  The problem with dice progression systems (i.e., d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, etc.) is that they break down after d12.  Each die adds .5 to the expected value.  E(d4) = 2.5.  E(d6) = 3.5.  E(d8) = 4.5.  Etc.  But when you get to rolling two dice (say, d6 + d8) instead of a uniform distribution, you get a bell curve.  Recently I’ve seen that d14, d16, and d18 are readily available.  I think a die progression mechanic with a lot of variance (4-20 instead of 4-12) is finally feasible in a way that I can live with, mathematically.

Some weeks back I posted some pictures of some WWII Americans riding giant eagles and some Eureka Stukasauruses.  I traded something to Chris for his unpainted Stukasauruses.  After sitting on them for several months, I finally painted them.  I have Major Objective (the guys who custom made the Americans for my eagles) working on some Brits to ride on griffins.  I will pick them up at Fall In, so watch for a weird world war two game by Cold Wars.


About The Author

Comments

Comments are closed.